Overview

Title: Alegre and Harrison Architects Records
Creator(s): Alegre and Harrison Architects.
Collection Number: NAA2
Dates (inclusive): 1957-1961
Physical Extent: 1.0 cubic feet (27 project files)
Preferred Citation: Alegre and Harrison Architects records, NAA2. Special Collections, University Libraries, University of Nevada, Reno.
Repository: University of Nevada, Reno. Special Collections Department
Permanent Link: http://dewey.library.unr.edu/xtf/view?docId=ead/NAA2-ead.xml

Administrative History

The Alegre and Harrison Architects firm was in business from about 1956-1962 and consisted of partners Albert W. Alegre, Weldon J. Harrison, and from 1956-1957 Rudolph Igaz, when the business was known as Igaz, Alegre and Harrison Architects. Information gleaned from the Reno City Directories prior to 1956 lists Alegre as the Assistant Superintendent of City Schools and Harrison as President of Harrison Homes, Inc. No listing or address was provided for Igaz until the 1957 directory, nor was there a listing for him after 1957, indicating that he no longer resided in Reno (or had died).

In about 1962 the firm apparently went out of business. According to the Reno architect Graham Erskine, in about 1960-1961a hotel designed by the company partially collapsed during the construction and subsequently there were questions about the stability of some of their other designs. The 1963 Reno City Directory has no listing for the company, Weldon Harrison, or Harrison Homes, Inc.; Alegre is listed as "head of c building manager First National Bank of Nevada."

Top

Scope and Content

This collection of drawings is for twenty-seven projects dates from 1957-1962 and includes work from both Igaz, Alegre and Harrison Architects and from Alegre and Harrison Architects. One set of specifications is included.

Based upon the drawings in this collection, most of the projects designed by the firm were public buildings, principally schools outside of Reno, such as the Carson Elementary School and Churchill County Junior High School. This collection of drawings for twenty-seven 0projects includes two churches designed by Alegre and Harrison, the First Presbyterian Church and the First Church of Christian Scientist, two private residential dwellings, a fraternity house remodeling, and several office buildings. The firm also designed the Scrugham Engineering Building on the University of Nevada, Reno campus but no drawings for that project are included in this collection.

Restrictions

Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Records donated by Hewitt C. Wells in 1978, as part of the Frederick Delongchamps Collection.

Top

Arrangement

  • Arranged alphabetically by name of project.

Top

Index Terms

This collection is indexed under the following headings in the online catalog of the University Libraries, University of Nevada, Reno. Researchers wishing to find related materials are encouraged to use the following index terms:

People:

Subjects:

Genres:

Architecture

Top

Administrative Information

Collection processed by staffFinding aid prepared by staffThis finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit on July 25, 2016.

Top


Detailed Description of the Records

Contents
Mrs. E. P. Aldez. A remodel and addition. (8 drawings), 1961
Contents
Armanko Building. Alterations. (6 drawings), 1959
Contents
Brown-Milbery, Inc.. Proposed Addition. (19 drawings), 1960
Contents
Carson Elementary School (19 drawings), 1959
Contents
Carson High School. Addition. (29 drawings), 1961
Contents
Churchill County Jr. High (45 drawings), 1961
Contents
Churchill County High School. Music room addition to existing gymnasium. (11 drawings), 1957
Contents
Corbett School (6 drawings), 1959
Contents
Douglas County High School (45 drawings), 1957
Contents
Edith W. Fritsch School - Carson City (2 drawings), 1961
Contents
First Church of Christian Scientist (3 drawings), 1957
Contents
First Presbyterian Church. Education Building. (23 drawings), 1960
Contents
Industrial Arts and Vocational Agriculture Building. (24 drawings), 1957
Contents
Mrs. Helen Leggett. Commercial Building. (10 drawings), 1958
Contents
Nevada Children's Foundation Inc. (8 drawings), 1961
Contents
Nevada State Hospital (15 drawings), 1958
Contents
Nevada State Hospital Children's Ward Building (16 drawings), 1959
Contents
Northside Elementary School. 1959 and 1960 Addition. (59 drawings), 1959-1960
Contents
Orvada School. (17 drawings), 1957
Contents
Mr. and Mrs. Guido Pincolini. A residence. (8 drawings), 1957
Contents
Schurz Elementary School. A remodel. (3 drawings), 1961
Contents
Mr. and Mrs. Shipley. Proposed residence. (11 drawings), 1958
Contents
Sigma Nu Fraternity House. A remodel. (7 drawings), 1960
Contents
Sigma Nu Fraternity. Addition. (5 drawings), 1959
Contents
Sonoma Heights School. Winnemucca. (43 drawings), 1957
Contents
West End School. Churchill County. (36 drawings), 1957
Contents
George Whittell High School. Zephyr Cove. (41 drawings), 1959